Friday, September 4, 2009

Moneymakers

I read an article on newsweek that was talking about female ambition. The author of the article was showing pictures of these women and giving a breif history of their individual careers and the roles they've played in society. Some of the women being discussed were Madonna, Yoko Ono, Nancy Pelosi, Anna Wintour, and Sarah Palin.

Each of these women have been condemned for some reason or another. They don't dress right, they don't care enough or they care too little. Martha stewart was one of the eleven women discussed in the article. She talked about her imprisonment and how she believed that if she were a man her crime would have been less of a "scandal" and recognized as more of an amibitious accident.

Anna Wintour as editor of the most popular fashion magazine, has been looked at as a bitch forever because, allegedly, she is very hard to please. However it is obvious this woman has built an empire. The article mentions she has readily admitted that she is not always "cuddly" (as a woman should be?) but that she appreciates good work and expects none less from her tough managment style.

I am not really a nut for womens rights. I am a woman, and I am human and I believe I am equal to other humans. That being said it was interesting for me to read this article that was written by a woman, about successful women. I am aware of the issues associated in the business world about women in positions of power. My mother is strong willed, intelligent, and very creative in her line of work. It is very obvious to me that she is treated differently for being a woman than if a man had her job.

So it makes me wonder. Do men treat women differently? Is it the other women, sitting at home being mothers and homemakers that are treating these ambitious women differently? Or is it the business women themselves? The Katie Courics, and Martha Stewarts of the world that have set themselves apart, maybe unknowingly?

As a woman I believe that it is instinctive for me to feel "motherly" or nurtering. But i don't believe it is my only emotion. And it would definitly not be a setback in a professional situation. It would be an advantage. Are these stygmas being put on business women to dampen success in field? To make them seem less threatening? If I were Madonna, or Nany Pelosi, or Sarah Palin how would I do it? How the hell would YOU do it? Probably not as well.

Because honestly there is no expectation. If they were more masculine it would not help. If they were more feminine they wouldn't be taken seriously. So what do they do?... Prove everyone wrong by making millions yearly.... Now isn't that ironic? People can be hating all they'd like..

Check out the SCOREBOARD! 1 Business Women, 0 Ankle Biters

I say chew on that. www.newsweek.com/id/214518

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! Right on! A woman makes a HUGE difference in the work place. It is the masculine women that ruin it for the truly ingenious women who are learning how to combine being a women with being good and I mean very good at business...

    ReplyDelete